* 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
* 1 cup basmati rice, washed and rinsed
* 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 chicken bouillon cube
* 1 onion, diced
* 2 garlic cloves, diced
* 6 green cardamom pods, whole
* 5 cloves
* 2 cinnamon sticks
* 2 black limes
* 1 teaspoon cumin
* 1 teaspoon coriander
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon pepper
* 1 teaspoon ginger
* 1 teaspoon cardamom, ground
* 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 4 hard-boiled eggs (optional)
* pine nuts and raisins (optional)
NOTE: place basmati rice in bowl with water over it to expand, it will not cook and will stay hard unless you do this. Leave for 15 minutes at the least.
In an 8-quart stockpot on medium-high heat add onions, garlic and. Allow onions to turn golden. Add bay leaves, cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon sticks, black limes, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, ginger and ground cardamom. Blend well and allow to sauté for 30 seconds.
. Add tomato sauce and chicken bouillon. Mix well until sauce thickens, reduce heat to low-medium. Add chicken allow to sauté for a 1 minute. Rotate chicken so that it gets all of the flavors. Add water until chicken is completely covered. Bring to a full boil then reduce to low. Cook for 35 minutes covered. Serve and enjoy Kabsa.